For the 6th year, we're running a contest to predict the outcomes in the matches of the Voyageurs Cup.
You really ought to familiarize yourself with the history of the competition -- no, not the cup itself, but the contest. A list of the winners and a final round up for each of the previous 5 years follows:
- 2013 (winner: Brenton)
- 2012 (Tuscan and Diego R)
- 2011 (Free Kick and Casual Soccer Fan)
- 2010 (Lank)
- 2009 (squizz)
- Participants will predict the final score of each of the first 6 matches over two competition stages: a) The initial two-legged play-in tie between Ottawa and Edmonton, and b) The two-leg semi final rounds between Vancouver and Toronto, and Ottawa/Edmonton and Montreal
- At the conclusion of the semi-final round, participants will be asked to submit their picks for the two-legged final.
- Total discrepancy from the final score of each match will be tallied. e.g.: If you predicted Ottawa 1 - 0 Edmonton for the opening fixture, and the final was 2-2, your discrepancy factor would be 3 goals (off by 1 for Ottawa, off by 2 for Edmonton). Lowest total score over all matches wins.
- For these two-legged ties, the CSA is applying the away goals rule. If matches go to extra time, the scoreline after 120 minutes is the one that will be used for contest purposes.
- In the case of an overall tie, a bonus will be awarded to anyone correctly prediction the tournament's high goal scorer.
- Subsequent tie-breakers: First tie-breaker will be total number of exact scorelines. Second is total number of correct results (win/draw/loss).
The lanterne rouge is a cycling term to designate the last-placed finisher in a race. The lanterne rouge will choose a team scarf from one of the tournament teams to be awarded to the winner.
Second and third paced prizes might come into play if the competition grows large enough, or if you have something you'd like to give away.
HOW TO ENTER
All entries must be submitted via email in order for me to be able to solicit your final round picks in a timely fashion once the finalists are known. Any entries left in the comments will not be included; I'll try to contact you to get an emailed response.
Please include the following details in your entry
- The exact score of each of the first 6 fixtures (in the correct order, please)
- Your prediction for tournament leading goal scorer.
- A nickname to be displayed on the results page. If none is given, your real name will be used.
Golden boot: John Doe
Nickname: Real name will be used if none provided
I know some email programs will garble the formatting of that table, but don't worry about it, I'll figure it out.
Once the final two teams are known, you will receive an email inviting you to submit your second round of picks which are due prior to kickoff on May 28th.
All entries must be emailed to email@example.com.
CONTEST DEADLINE: All entries must be received by 7:30 pm eastern (kickoff time) on Wednesday 23 April 2014, the day of the opening encounters.
I'm shooting for maximum participation, so if you have a platform for promoting this thing (twitter, blog, semaphore, etc.), I'd appreciate the support that way.